Monday, September 7, 2015

Week 36: Crocheting Bliss

For those who are not aware, I am on a 52 weeks adventure this year wherein I decide my own adventures! For more details, check out here!

Never did I think, that I will do crochet one day! But guess what? In my new found quest for learning new things, I tried my hands on crochet also! But this would not have been possible without the girl's creative gang and especially Neha, who played a pivotal role in making us believe we can do it.

The projects we chose were relatively easier ones except for Gauri, who as usual wanted to challenge herself and selected a shrug. Sukh and me selected a small project which was a beanie. 

Our first class started with Neha first teaching us simple chain in crochet. She made us practice only the chain first for 10-15 times. Then she switched to single crochet and then to double crochet. We practiced till Neha was satisfied that we could do it. She even made sure we held the needle properly for ease of crocheting. Neha is an excellent teacher and she even scolds you if you don't obey her ;)

Crochet is addictive and it also calms the senses and relaxes you. It keeps your mind from wandering to unwanted thoughts as you have to concentrate on the number of stitches, consistency of stitches making sure you do not miss anything. And the bliss which you experience after completing a piece is surreal! :)


A sketch by my sister Shweta Vernekar-Navlakha, which expresses my sentiments so artistically.

I first started my beanie with a bright yellow and white yarn. But unfortunately it was a cotton yarn and was not stretching enough to fit my head. 

My bright cotton yarn

Start to an addictive hobby

Here is the beanie, but alas which does not fit my head! :(

So then after finishing this piece, I bought a new wool yarn to make another beanie which is not rigid but flexible to fit my head. This yarn and needle were a part of my hurricane kit to keep myself busy just in case hurricane Erika would have hit us and God forbid there would have been a power outage. So thoughtful of me, right?  ;) But fortunately Erika did not hit us and we were safe.

My new yarn. I just fell in love with the colors.

Sukh finished her beanie long back as I took a break from crocheting for practicing for the Humorous Speech Contest. Sukh even added a cute flower to her beanie and it looks really awesome now!

Look at the super clean stitches and the cute flower

Uber cool beanie as well as the poser ;)

Gauri took a longer time, but she had chosen a difficult as well as an elaborate piece. But all of us loved her shrug when it was completed. It is looking so elegant and delicate.


Gauri's fabulous white shrug

Doesn't it look elegant?
I have still not finished my beanie. I still have a flower to put which I believe will happen sometime this week. With the long weekend and another speech at Toastmasters this Thursday and reading the second book in the Mistborn series, it really is a bit difficult to finish my second beanie. But yes, I will do it this week. 


Work in progress

WhatsApp message to my gang: Is this length enough?
Reply: No, add one more line and see

How about this length? Reply: Yo baby!

So, technically my beanie is done but just need to add a flower.  Once I do that, I have some ambitious plans of making a shrug (if Gauri doesn't gift me one) and a scarf.  Also, I want to make something for the loving man in my life. Not yet decided exactly what.


Crochet for 'Love' :)

Let us see when that happens. Till then, cheers to my beanie :)


2 comments: