Friday, February 13, 2015

Week 6: Cooking Experiments



For those who are not aware, I am on a 52 weeks adventure this year where in I decide my own adventures! For more details, check out here!

This week I thought of experimenting in the kitchen! Now why was this adventurous? It was adventurous because I hate cooking. I never cooked full fledged meals till I came to the US. I have known how to cook since I was in high school, but I never really enjoyed cooking. It is only after coming to the US that I started making dishes other than normal rice and curry which itself is actually a BIG adventure ;)

So what I did this week was I experimented with the famous South Indian dish called 'dosa' which is basically a crepe made out of a fermented batter prepared from rice and different lentils. I thought of adding a twist to it by adding sago and see what happens. 

The feeling was like experiments in the Chemistry lab, where you mix two unknown chemicals and wait and watch what is the reaction!

Sago becomes crisp on frying. So I thought adding sago to the batter will add to the crispiness of the dosa. But I forgot that sago is also sticky and this might just make my cooking experiment a flop. The dosa was not exactly a flop. It was crispy but at the same time it was a skillful job to flip it over the griddle. My first 2 dosas cracked and were served in pieces to my husband. He ate it without complaining! 

Then I gave an ultimatum to the dosa batter that if it did not behave properly, I will make fritters out of it in my appe pan. The threat seemed to work and my third dosa came out perfectly with no cracks!

So, sago dosa anyone?


No comments:

Post a Comment