Monday, November 9, 2015

Week 45: Preparing for Diwali!

For those who have stumbled on my blog just today, I am on a 52 weeks adventure this year wherein I decide my own adventures! For more details, check out here!

Another year when we are away from home during Diwali, one of the biggest festivals in India. But this year I decided to make it BIG during Diwali and not let homesickness take over us. It is my first time that I have done all that my mom used to do back home during Diwali, just that I have done things on a smaller scale. So here is a week which was super busy in preparing for Diwali.

Last year I had made just small lanterns for the main door. But this year, I wanted to do more. A big lantern, some door decorations and small paper lanterns too. Thus started my quest for art and craft supplies and I almost bought a shop back home ;)

My art and craft shop at home ;)
Next was making the big lantern and decorations from all the material. The big lantern was a labor intensive job and almost got me a back ache. The smaller decorations were easier and less time consuming. 

The mess called art! :)


Ya, ya! I love the bright colored lantern :)

These will go on the main door

The next task was getting rid of the clutter at home. Diwali is a festival when all the clutter goes out of the home and hence cleaning is major aspect of Diwali. I am a lousy person when it comes to cleaning. Sujoy is usually the one with 'We should have a clean home' syndrome :P. I am really laid back in that aspect. Sujoy is the one who takes care of vacuuming and dusting at our place. 

So it was a herculean task for me to get the house cleaned sans Sujoy's syndrome ;). I started with getting rid of all the clutter which was there in the store rooms, then wardrobe cleaning which made me realize that I need to give away a lot of clothes which I haven't worn for a year now and lastly the kitchen. Phew! I did all the cleaning in phases and hence was sane at the end of it :P Of course, Sujoy was there to help!


Wardrobe Cleaning Alert!

Lastly was the Diwali faral or Diwali snacks. Back home, there is an array of food items prepared. But I stuck to just 4 items. 2 sweet and 2 savory. I made besan ladoos, kaju katli (cashew nut sweet) , puffed rice chiwda and a new avatar chiwda i.e. cornflakes chiwda. 

Besan ladoo made in shudha desi ghee i.e. clarified butter

The Kaju Katlis!

Puffed Rice Savory Chiwda

Trust me, this is the tastiest version of corn flakes :)

I am excited for Diwali week and have some great plans lined up. I hope Diwali brings happiness and prosperity to everyone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment