Monday, May 4, 2015

Week 18: Reading Marathon

For those who are not aware, I am on a 52 weeks adventure this year where in I decide my own adventures! For more details, check out here!

The last week I was sick half the week and then too weak to do anything the rest of the week. I was not sure if I will do something new. But yes, I did. In between sleeping and eating, I read. I read so much that I completed 3 books and re read one of my other favourite book. So in a week, I read 4 entire books! Yes, beat that.

I have always been an avid reader but lately fiction is what interests me more. There was a time when I was a classic fanatic, I still am but now I try and read other genres too. After coming to the US with free access to the library, my reading has increased manifold. I just get immersed in the fictional world many times forgetting my grievances and worries. It is good to be in an imaginary world sometimes. 

This week I read young adult fiction 'Eleanor and Park', a biography 'Wild: From lost to found on the Pacific Crest Trail', another biography 'Dongri to Dubai' and this did not satiate my thirst that I re read another YA fiction 'The fault in our stars'.


The books were helped me forget my sickness for a while. I will share some of my favorite quotes from each of these books which are etched in my memory.

Eleanor and Park: This is a high school romance intertwined with family abuse and issues one faces with separated parents. It is about a girl and a boy, who are so very different in all aspects and yet bond with each other and eventually fall in love. 

One of my favorite quote is, "Eleanor was right. She never looked nice. She looked like art and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something."
Such profound words on art and beauty. Loved it :)


Wild: This book starts with a heart wrenching episode of the author's near one's demise and that picture stays with you till the end. The story unravels a bit slower than I would have anticipated, making it a little boring in patches. But, the trail Cheryl Strayed took and completed motivates you to do something similar. And if you are wondering on how can someone have such strange surname, you need to read the book.

One of my favorite quotes from the book is, "I'd finally come to understand what it had been: a yearning for a way out, when actually what I wanted was a way in."
You need to read the book to understand the deepness of this simple sentence.


Dongri to Dubai: This is a biography of the infamous Indian mafia and how Mumbai had different mafia leaders across the history. The book is interesting and it scares you at some instances while on other instances you are just awed at the strategic minds some of these mafias possessed. 

The Fault in Our Stars: I had read this book long before the movie was released. This is a story of cancer kids intertwined with a heart warming love story. The end is unexpected and you just cannot read this book without tissues. It is one of my favorite books. There are so many quotes which will stick with me forever from this book.
"My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations".
"Grief does not change you Hazel. It reveals you".
"I am a grenade and at some point I am going to blow up and I would like to minimize my casualties, okay?".
"You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I'm grateful".

Okay, I can go on and on about this book. So, will stop here.

Yes, a week of sickness and reading was my adventure for the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment