Friday, April 10, 2015

Week 14: Silence is Golden

For those who are not aware, I am on a 52 weeks adventure this year where in I decide my own adventures! For more details, check out here

This week I was not sure if I will be able to continue with this journey. But I did something new which accidentally qualifies as an 'adventure'. This week was the one where I dragged myself every morning out of the bed and did things because they had to be done. There are days in your life when you wake up in the morning and don't feel like getting out of the bed at all. This week each day was the same to me. I was just enduring each day and looking forward to go to bed at night. Nothing interested me, it was impossible to keep my usual high spirits. Boredom was invading my mind and body. 

I am usually very excited about Tuesdays as Tuesday evening is my Toastmaster evening and I look forward to it. However, this Tuesday was another story and I dragged myself to the club only because I had signed up for a role (Table Topics Master) and did not want to cause last minute inconvenience to the club members. Yes, I was that messed up!

The phase continued till Wednesday and then Wednesday night I decided to follow a 'mauna vrata' or 'vow of silence' on Thursday to reflect back on my thoughts and see why is this happening with me? I did not chat on FB or Whtasapp and it was a day of no talking at all. This I did not as an adventure but my husband pointed out today that this qualifies as 'my' definition of adventure and then it dawned on me. So yes, this week's adventure is I realized - 'Silence is Golden'.

Just when I decided about my vow of silence for Thursday, I came across this post by one of my favorite bloggers Lily on 'gratitude'. The blog helped me concentrate on my blessings in life currently for which I am deeply thankful to the Almighty. And yes, a separate post will be arriving soon on gratitude as a guest writer on Lily's blog.

During my entire day of silence and being with my thoughts I realized, I waste so much of my energy everyday in talking. My mauna vrata helped me conserve my energy. Though I did not speak with my mouth, there was a lot of talking going on in my head. That was too exhausting. It took me several hours to quieten my mind and be in a state of 'Zen' like peace. Peace with yourself. 

I realized you have the power to be happy or sad. If you do not let any external force influence your happiness, you have conquered your feelings and are in charge for whatever happens to you. Isn't it good to know that you, and only you determine your mental state? 

It was a day of enlightenment for me! I had my solitude and now I am back to my chirpy self :)

On a lighter note, my husband had a good laugh at his office at my expense. His client asked him casually about my well being and he replied, "She is silent today. No nagging for me since morning. She is in her solitude. I am going to go home in the evening and keep my clothes on the sofa. I bet she will try to request me to keep the clothes inside with her actions. But I will act as if I don't understand what she is trying to communicate." (Devil smile on the face)

On that note, everyone around had a hearty laugh at his office! Ok, so my vow of silence brought a smile on a few faces. That makes me happier! :)

In case you want to have some lone time with yourself - go ahead, take that vow of silence!


2 comments:

  1. So true honey.... Its the only truth, that we are the ones who are responsible for our happiness. No new thing or an event can change ur state of happiness, if ur with ur self / soul every time. U are surely blessed to think alike at this age . my gud wishes with u always. Happy thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete